1. What was included in the application process to read Medicine in Monash Malaysia?
I applied online through http://www.monash.edu.my/study/apply/application-form/online-application. My advice is to apply as soon as your forecast/ actual results are available. A band score of 7.0 is required in IELTS. The ISAT (International Student Admissions Test) is required too!
2. What are some of the activities you participated in that you think helped your application?
Being a member of the St John Ambulance Malaysia, I learned a lot about first aid and how to handle emergency cases. It mainly helped me in my interview, more specifically how to think critically and how to answer questions asked by the interviewer. I also believe that the school is looking for people who can work well in a team.
3. How was the interview session?
The interview session was fun because it was like a mini game going on. Multiple Mini Interview (MMI) could be tough for some people that couldn’t read carefully, think critically and answer questions quickly.
There were 4 interviewers with different questions. Candidates were given 2 minutes to read through the passage and 8 minutes to answer 5 to 6 questions.
The passages I got were on:
- Doctors being tired due to long shifts;
- Helping aboriginal children in funding on breakfast scheme;
- Parents not agreeing on children studying agriculture; and
- Team members neglecting their projects. Give advice.
Some of the interviewers are quite strict; you’ll be pestered and pushed to answer the questions. Most are very friendly and they’ll allow you to ask questions like how the syllabus is and anything you’re curious about. The “seniors” are quite helpful too! Don’t be shy to ask them for tips.
PS: Running is required, so ladies, ditch your high heels.
4. What do you think contributed to the success of your application?
I think the interview covers a whole lot in the application process. So as I mentioned earlier, ECAs and teamwork will help your answering technique. Do practice questions on ISAT and score well in your Pre-U course.
5. What advice would you give to future applicants?
Good luck in your future career as a doctor! Don’t be too stressed up on studies and do well!
*Note: Monash University Malaysia uses the same syllabus as Monash University Australia and is recognized by both the Malaysian Medical Council and Australian Medical Council. You may apply for housemanship in Australia.*
Melanie Hew is a joyful girl who enjoys bringing happiness to people. She will be pursuing Bachelor of Biomedicine in the University of Melbourne. She hopes to be a paediatric cardiologist in the future.